Here's what we did:
We started out by watching Aquabots.
The challenge today, was to build an object that achieved neutral buoyancy. It needed to float in the middle of a big cup, neither floating to the top or sinking to the bottom. It was really challenging! Although there was a lot of great collaboration, and really great ideas, none of the groups were able to achieve neutral buoyancy. I let them know that when we did this experiment during SciGirls training, none of the adults (a room full of science teachers!), could do it either. We had a great discussion about what they could have used to properly complete the challenge. Ideas included thin foam paper and salt.
This would be a great challenge to continue working on at home! If your SciGirl successfully completes this task, please post about it in the comments below! I know it can be done...
For the second half of class, the girls tested their own personal buoyancy at a water park! It was really fun. Everyone was smiling :)
Next month the girls will do their annual service project, and experiment with multi-tasking.
SciGirls 2016-17 planning is underway!
We should have registration forms out for current class members by the May meeting :)